Sunday, January 21, 2007

Under the Sea!

I suppose something should be said about the strangeness of this fish woman! Her tail is based on one of those old drawings of fish made before the invention of the camera. When sailors would come back with horrible tales of creatures beyond description which populated the seas and oceans of the world. It's the only time I've ever seen a shark drawn with whiskers. In the latin this little mermaid is known as ANTHRO POMORPHOS (or so says the book 1300 Real and Fanciful Animals from Seventeenth-Century Engravings by Matthaus Merian).
This week my good friends Chris and Angela delivered their first baby. I drew this little caricature of Junior Stone (not his real name) sight unseen. I took it upon myself to extrapolate the facial characteristics of the mother and father, merging the more prominent features into the likeness you see before you. In the end he looks nothing like this. More to the point I managed to completely forget that neither Chris nor Angela have brown eyes. Almost all babies have blue eyes at birth (or so I'm told) and only in the coming months will they learn his true eye colour. At any rate congratulations to my friends on their successful procreation.
your friend,
j.

4 comments:

Skullossus said...

Nice work! She's a babe despite being half fish. Tony Millionaire had a gag where they'd caught a mermaid and were trying to figure out if you'd serve white wine or red wine with it?

Where did the jewelry stye come from? It's a nice organic piece but isn't the typical sea-debris-as-accessory.

Anonymous said...

Dude, is the ocean boiling because thats one hot mermaid.

AWWW, LOOK AT THE CUTE LIL BABY!

your work is fantastic, keep up the A++ quality.

j. said...

King of Hearts - The rule of wine is red for red meat(beef), white for white meat(fish, pork, chicken). So even though this gal has pink hue she's white meat underneath. :)
The jewelry...I wish I could say there was much thought put into it! It's really just slightly wobbly half circles with no visible connecting lines. I see it as empty mollusk shells or imperfect pearls.

Milol - Nice pick up line, dude. You win the date! The little Mermaid here likes long swims along the shore, seaweed and jellyfish salad, sunset at 20,000 fathoms. Dislikes white wine. Oh, and her star sign is...oh, wait...that would be telling ;)

Thanks guys,
j.

Brian said...

Beautiful. I'll have to share this one with my Mrs.,also a beautiful blond, who made herself a knock-out mermaid costume for Halloween a few years back.