Thursday, May 15, 2008

Savage She-Hulk!

Ramon Perez asked a bunch of us, his artist buddies, to work up some Hulk themed images for a recent job. I like the Hulk but I've always preferred to read the adventures of She-Hulk. Blame it on John Byrne whose run on the character made me fall in love with her. I think what I liked most about her was that she wasn't on the run from anyone (or anything...or herself). With She-Hulk you have straightforward superhero adventuring un-encumbered by debilitating self-hatred or public fear (see pretty much any Hulk story).

I want to plug a few things that I hope you'll check out. First I want to point out the comic strips going on over at Transmission X. Every strip is highly reccommendable and the site itself is multiple award nominated (Shusters and Eisners).

I've finally added a link to the guy who sells my art, Albert Moy! I've recently sent Albert a bunch of pages from my work on Gotham Girls and Spider-Man: Tangled Web. He's also got my Spirit work.

And finally, if you haven't seen it yet, go check out the IRON MAN movie. Not that it needs my help to be a tremendous success...but I just loved the movie and encourage everyone to see it. It's just so nice when a comic book movie is entertaining, true to the spirit of the character, well acted, looks good and is fantastically well written. If you want to see how true Favreau and crew stuck to the Tony Stark character read (or re-read) the origin of Iron Man. The Essential Iron Man collection available at any big bookstore is the best place to find the story.

best,
j.




9 comments:

Jon McNally said...

Yowza! Ferocious ink and color, J.

Anonymous said...

That's freaky... when I was growing up, I read a lot of Hulk comics - but until relatively recently, She-Hulk had completely passed me by.

Yet your description on this post makes her could ultra-cool.

Anonymous said...

or it might even make her "SOUND" ultra-cool (it's not a typo, honest, it's the UK heatwave interfering with my PC wotsits)

K.B. said...

Great illo.

Dan said...

Wow, totally love this one, dude.

j. said...

Jon - Thanks. I'm just looking at it on a different computer right now and the image kinda looks pixelly. Wonder Tot doesn't look that way so I wonder if I mucked it up when I reduced her? Hmmm...

John - No sweat, guy. I got your meaning :) How lucky for you to be having a heat wave. I'm waiting for our Canadian warm weather to arrive. Any day now...

Kevin - Thanks.

Crylic - Also thanks!

best,
j.

Aaron Florian said...

A fabulous She-Hulk. This illustration has a strong 70's vibe I just love.

Aman Chaudhary said...

Wow! This would be sensational on a t-shirt!

Doc Shaner said...

I love the original Savage She-Hulk, would love to see you do more with her J!